Confession time: we still haven’t decided what we’re doing for Valentine’s Day! ::gasp:: Now, unlike some years, this isn’t because as we sit and think about what would be a great gift all we hear are those annoying crickets as absolutely nothing comes to mind. This year, it’s because there are just too many cool local Galveston Island things to choose from!
We love being such a short drive from Houston, but sometimes we just want to stay a little closer to home and soak in the relaxed atmosphere instead of getting all fancied up and then battling for a parking space in “the big city” 🙂 If you’re like us (or you’re lucky enough to be enjoying a long weekend at one of our vacation rentals), then we have a few suggestions for you and your sweetheart this weekend!
1. Go out for brunch and beat the crowds, or plan a picnic lunch at one of our local parks and pick up some sweet treats from local favorites PattyCakes Bakery, Sunflower Bakery, Farley Girls Cafe, or ShyKatz Deli & Bakery.
2. Unplug all the electronics and enjoy a leisurely stroll along our 32 miles of beaches, or plan to attend one of the great programs at the Galveston Island State Park. Saturday, February 13 brings Beachcombing 101 at 10 a.m. and a Bay Tower Hike at 3:30 p.m.
3. Music lovers will enjoy the jazz and big band sounds of the Trio du Jour at the Tremont House’s 1888 Toujouse Bar every Friday and Saturday evening; or you can pick up tickets to attend the high-energy performance by The Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra on Saturday, or the Galveston Symphony Orchestra on Sunday at The Grand 1894 Opera House.
4. Feeling creative? Join the Paint Party at Galveston Island State Park onFriday at 4:30 p.m. Or, the Affaire d’art International Fine Art Gallery is offering a “Couples Corks and Canvases” event on Saturday at 2 p.m. (limited seating, so reserve your spot ASAP 409.789.0079). There’s also a great assortment of art galleries you can wander through on a leisurely stroll through Historic Downtown Galveston – maybe you’ll find the perfect piece to remember your weekend away!
5. Looking for something a little more traditional? Try the Galvez Bar & Grill’s romantic four-course Valentine’s Day Dinner on Saturday or Sunday nights, or the popular Sunday Brunch. Reservations are strongly advised, online via Open Table.
You can see why we’re having trouble deciding! Maybe we’ll grab breakfast at a bakery, join in the Beachcombing 101 class, head downtown and browse a few galleries, and then relax and enjoy one of the performances at The Grand….or maybe we’ll just pick up lunch from one of our favorite seafood spots and spend all day with a sweater and a book in our lounge chairs on the beach … these choices are tough! 😉