Travel Tips for Homeschoolers
What are some Car Ride Activities that we can do on our way to Galveston?
Road tripping to Galveston Island for some hands-on learning? Keep your lively learners busy on the way with these great activities, geared towards preparing them for their upcoming edu-venture, and don't forget those printables!
Traveling with kids to the beach doesn't have to be stressful. Here are our "Top 5 for I-45" suggestions for a smooth trip to Galveston Island:
1. Get your kids excited about what they'll see on their Galveston Island homeschool adventure with the Historic Galveston Island Coloring Book. Print out the whole thing or just the pages for the sites on your "To See" list and grab those colored pencils!
2. Download a few audiobooks from your favorite resource, like Audible, to keep the whole family entertained. (#Protip: check if your local library offers free audio book "checkouts"!)
3. Pack each person their own snack bag & small cooler to keep at their seat. No one wants to be digging blindly through snacks in traffic on I-45. Plus, this lets your kiddos feel a sense of control and is great for working on time management and budgeting skills ;) And you can replenish your goodies at the Texas City Buc-ee's at exit 17. Never been to a Buc-ee's? Now is definitely the time to visit this Texas institution!
4. Grab a map! That's right, bring that practically-an-antique multi-fold map along! Directions from the GPS are great for traffic alerts & on-the-fly direction changes for solo drivers, but let your littles plot the path too! Work in a lesson about navigation before leaving home and they'll love following along on their own map all the way to Galveston. Bonus: it should cut down on the ever-popular "are we there yet?" inquiries!
5. Be (mentally) prepared for traffic and that dreaded c-o-n-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life. However, we promise the beach will still be here when you arrive! Construction equipment can be fascinating for kids (of all ages), so don't hesitate to turn that stop-and-go traffic into a learning opportunity to explain which big machines do what.
If you're staying at a Sand `N Sea beach house the great news is you know you'll be walking into a clean, spacious beach house - perfect for shaking off travel woes & getting a little bit of breathing room to yourself! Afraid unexpected delays will make you miss check-in? Just give our office a call and we will let you know how we can help make sure you get settled in without delay.
What should you pack for your Galveston Homeschool field trip?
These packing lists are designed to take a bit of the stress out of vacation planning. Print the whole Galveston Island Homeschool Packing List by clicking the image.
Want to travel light? All Sand `N Sea beach houses have washer & dryers, so there's no need to pack a full week's worth of clothing for your beach adventure. Plus, you can let the kids muck about on the beach or bay and not worry about schlepping wet clothes home at the end of your trip!
Sand `N Sea vacation rentals also include bath towels, linens, fully equipped kitchens (including coffee makers!), private bedrooms, and living & dining spaces perfect for lessons or relaxing after a full day discovering the history & nature of Galveston Island.
What to Pack for the Beach:
- beach towel
- net for seining
- bucket & shovel
- water shoes
- cooler with snacks & drinks
- ID guide for Gulf Creatures
- sketchbook & pencil for field journal activities
For Hands-On Activities:
- bug barn
- butterfly nets (could double as seine nets)
- container for shells, feathers & other collectibles
- magnifying glass
- gloves for sorting through sargassum
- fishing pole (& license for 17yo+)
- fishing net
- mosquito repellent
- field journal & pencil
- crayons or makers
For Your Beach House:
- dish soap
- laundry detergent
- trash bags
- zip top bags
- coffee & filters
- paper towels
- toilet paper
- plastic wrap or aluminum foil
- personal hygiene essentials
- charcoal & lighter fluid for grilling
What's the best way to get around Galveston?
Galveston offers a number of ways to get to-and-from your favorite spots on the Island! In addition to your personal vehicle, you can: rideshare with Uber or Lyft, sightsee from the Galveston Trolley, rent a bike or surrey, try a Zipp E Bike electric bike, zoom along on a Segway, rollerblade along the seawall, or choose from a variety of walking tours that are perfect for exploring this coastal gem.