As is the case throughout the country, things are continuously changing here on Galveston Island. We want to make sure our guests, homeowners and staff have the information they need and we are updating this page regularly. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly with any questions – 409.797.5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
March 17, 2020 4:00 p.m.
CITY PRESS RELEASE
GALVESTON, TX – March 17, 2020 – Mayor Jim Yarbrough on Tuesday enacted two orders closing public amusement venues, including bars, and limiting restaurants to take-out, delivery and drive-thru services, following federal guidelines regarding Coronavirus and public gatherings.
The order requires the closure of public amusement venues operating within the City of Galveston, effective 4 p.m. today. The second order limits restaurants to take-out, delivery and drive-thru only, effective 5 a.m. Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Hotel restaurants will still be able to serve guests only. The order also closes bars, effective at 4 p.m. Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
This includes museums and theme parks, such as the Pleasure Pier, and other large attractions, such as Moody Gardens. The orders were signed into effect by the Galveston Mayor on Tuesday, as permitted under the emergency declaration enacted Monday, as authorized by the Texas Government Code Chapter 418.
This decision is intended to reduce the risk of community spread and protect the health of our residents. The decision is prompted by the first confirmed case of community spread in Galveston County. By state law, the order will be in effect for seven days, effective immediately.
March 17, 2020 1:00 p.m.
Many local attractions have closed public operations for the next few weeks in an effort to support social distancing efforts aimed at keeping our friends and neighbors as safe as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
While your favorite museum might not be open, there are still plenty of things to do around the Island during your visit. Local restaurants are adjusting schedules, rearranging dining rooms & offering new curbside pickup services. Other small businesses are getting creative with the way they offer their services.
As we all know, modified schedules and plans for closings are changing rapidly. Please be sure to check social media accounts or call ahead for current hours before jumping in your car. As of today, you can make plans check out these great local options on your visit to Galveston Island:
Self-Guided Tours, perfect for stretching your legs and getting some fresh air:
- Turtles About Town
- Tree Sculpture Tour
- Oppenheimer Bird Observatory
- East End Historic District & Victorian Homes walking tour
Museums & Attractions
- The Bryan Museum (no guided tours or special events)
- Moody Gardens
- Aquarium Pyramid
- Rainforest Pyramid
- Discovery Museum
- The current Skeletown exhibit is perfect for home learning curriculum!
- Golf Course
- Galveston Historical Foundation Sites:
- Texas Seaport Museum (no audio tours available)
- Tall Ship ELISSA
- Historic Harbor Tour & Dolphin Watch
- 1892 Bishop’s Palace (no audio tours available)
- Clay Cup Studios – “To Go” kits for pick-up or studio time by appointment for groups under 10 people.
Other Island Updates:
- Pointe West announced that their community pools will be closed as of 9:00 a.m., Thursday, March 19, until further notice.
- City of Galveston suspended rubber wheel trolley service through March 31. Fixed-route service will continue to operate as normal, with modifications to keep passengers at least six feet apart.
March 16, 2020 7:00 p.m.
In the last few days, we have seen even more area schools extend their Spring Break closures to multiple weeks, as well as an increase to the number of businesses restructuring their workflow to accommodate remote offices for their employees.
As the need for social distancing increases, we continue to work hard to welcome guests from Houston and other nearby areas to their private beach house reservations, as scheduled.
Here at the Sand `N Sea office, we continue to refine our “best practices” daily. The focus remains on mitigating risk for our guests, their families, and our vacation rental and real estate teams.
In addition to the efforts that we began last week, we are working on several procedural changes for low/no-contact check-in, etc. We will share those once they roll out live for our guests. For now:
We encourage guests to use our Express Check-out lockbox located in the parking lot on the east side of our office (towards 12 Mile Road). Just drop your keys in the box and go!
Other Island updates:
As of 6:00 p.m. the City of Galveston informed the Galveston Restaurant Association that Galveston restaurants can still operate dining rooms within appropriate guidelines.
• No more than 50 people at one time in a dining room.
• No tables larger than parties of 10.
• 6-foot social distancing between tables.
• Curbside pick-up, take-out, drive-thru, & delivery options are allowed, and will continue to be allowed even if a federal mandate closes dining rooms.
March 13, 2020 2:00 CST
With the unprecedented events of the last week and the unknown impact timeline of COVID-19, we wanted to keep our readers up-to-date about what is currently happening within the Sand `N Sea office and our community.
Our guests’ health is important to us and, here in Galveston, our community is committed to best practices and procedures when it comes to the health & safety of all visitors to our Island. We continue to closely monitor statements regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) and remain in close communication with state & local tourism officials and other business owners. Like the majority of businesses, we are following guidance from federal, state and local agencies, including the CDC and WHO.
We know that you may have questions about your upcoming Galveston vacation, and we feel it’s important to be transparent with our policies. Here are a few of the things that we are doing to mitigate the risk for our guests and staff members:
In our office:
• Our entire office is disinfected daily, and check-in counters are cleaned frequently throughout the day.
• Check-in counters also have hand sanitizers for guest and staff use, and there are disinfectants for staff to use between guests.
• Hand sanitizers and disinfectant sprays are positioned throughout the office, in restrooms and in all areas which staff & guests use frequently.
• Property services requires all staff and maintenance vendors entering and departing to use the sanitizing stations located in their department.
• Vacation Rentals team members and Realtors are required to stay home if sick.
• Any staff members or Realtors traveling internationally or on cruises are required to self-quarantine at home for 14 days after arrival back in the US.
At your beach house:
• Our professionally trained housekeeping teams continue to use professional level disinfectants and cleaning supplies.
• Our commercial laundry washes towels and sheets professionally – at 160 degrees (your home washer typically reaches 100 degrees).
• Inspecting & Property Services staff that are entering houses have been extensively trained and are being super vigilant about disinfectants and cleanliness standards.
Your private vacation home is the perfect escape during this stressful time. Spacious living areas, private decks, and miles of beaches make it easy to avoid contact with other travelers. Many local restaurants offer delicious takeout options, and all are taking precautions above & beyond normal food safety practices.
A few things to note that will make your trip even easier:
• Hand sanitizer and other home supplies like toilet paper may only be available in limited quantities at local stores. We recommend bringing these items with you.
• The majority of our homes offer free WiFi for guest use. If you have questions about your home’s amenities just give us a call. Telecommute with confidence, but be aware that speeds can be slow here on the more rural side of Galveston. You are always welcome to use the WiFi, fax or printers at our office.
• If you aren’t feeling well, we encourage you to stay home. Even in the best of times, vacationing while sick is no fun. If you or your guests are ill and you elected to purchase travel insurance coverage please contact RedSky Travel Insurance (866.889.7409 or email@example.com).
• We understand that circumstances with your family may be changing daily. If you have concerns, please call us at 409.797.5500. We would be happy to go over your options with you.
We want you to be confident in your choice to vacation in Sand `N Sea beach houses. Please don’t hesitate to call us at 409.797.5500 with any questions.
We will continue to post updates as the COVID-19 situation evolves here on Galveston Island.